A business development consultant can either do a free lance job or be employed with a company as its paid employee. The job positions may vary but the basic job requirements do not show much change. They are as follows:
- Looking for new ways of developing the business besides improving the sales by attracting new customers.
- Taking initiative to close the deals by persuading the prospective clients and ironing out the doubts.
- Introducing new sales targets and alternative methods to achieve them.
- Actively taking part in the group discussions, encouraging suggestions from the other members on the team and implementing them.
- Coordinating the activities and goals of the accounts department with the other departments to benefit the company on the whole.
- Improving the networking and the customer relations services.
- Studying new market options and presenting detailed presentations on the way of approach and its feasibility based on research and analysis.
- Monitor the business strategies of the competitors, evaluate their products and services, compare them and improve on their own products and services to serve the customers better.
- Guide the subordinates during execution of the plans.
- Attend meetings and conferences to stay updated and aware of the changing economic policies.
One needs a bachelor's degree in marketing, business, management or an equivalent field. Having a minimum experience of three to five years in marketing provides the edge over others. The requirements vary from organization to organization.
Besides this one also needs to have other skills to be able to give result oriented performance. One needs to be self motivated to be able to venture into newer zones and experiment with alternative possibilities. Having a strong hold over marketing strategies and company policies helps further. Strong reasoning and brain storming skills help in arriving at the right decision after weighing the pros and cons of each prospective way of approach. Good communication skills- verbal, written and phone based to reach out to the client and the team members at the same time. Excellent interpersonal skills, management and coordination skills and leadership qualities help in making the teamwork easier.
The average salary of a business development consultant in United States comes to about $80,000. The upper limit is higher touching $600,000- $650,000 depending upon the job position.